Wednesday, October 19, 2016

October Musings

Until two weeks into October, I had not made a single Eccentric figure for Halloween.  In fact, I have not made any for nearly a year.  Then my daughter Erin began telling me about her plans for her Halloween party this year--the first in her new home.  She was so excited. Max and Mila have been involved in the planning and will be helping with all of the details.  

After I hung up from that conversation, I was excited, too, and decided to make her a Halloween something.  But what?  Something that I could finish and get in the mail.  

Eek is cloth and clay
and was a bit of a rush job.

The cloth body went pretty quickly:
choose fabrics, cut strips, sew together,
make a pattern, trace onto fabric strips,
sew, cut out, stuff, add clay for the face.

Then quite a few hours were spent watching Netflix
as I added French knots and beads and decided on  embellishments.
That is the fun part, slow, but fun.



Working on Eek took several days,
and I got behind on answering letters!

Incoming Mail

from Naomi in Australia--
an arabic aerogram!
 love Hannah's Grumpy Cat stamp!

Lisa at lil fish studios posted this leaf mandala a while back,
and I keep going back to look at it!
Isn't it gorgeous?
If I had done this,
I would frame it and hang it on the wall
so I could enjoy it daily.

I'm having one of those weeks where I want to make things,
but can't make up my mind what I want to do.
Too many ideas all of a sudden
and unable to decide.

What are you up to this October?


18 comments:

  1. I love Eek! Just perfect in every way. Hope you're having a good week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! She is on her way to Baton Rouge with all good Halloween wishes. :)

      Delete
  2. Eek is an excellent Halloween surprise, sure to be a hit at the party. Love the face and the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all the monsters have a good time!

      Delete
  3. It's funny how our focus changes. I was surprised for you to say you had not made anythng in about a year. Time flies and I have been enjoying the mail art you post. I finally got my first quilt started. However, I have to admit that I am a very political person and working for my Senator has taken much time. Indiana's governor has gladly jumped ship so I am also working hard to get the man elected that would have run against Pence. It is quite time consuming but I am so happy to actually be part of the process.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elections are so important this year! Good for you for giving your time and energy, Carol. Can't wait to see how your quilt progresses. :)

      Delete
  4. Eek is delightful! Full of Halloween fun details! What fun can be had with her pocket inserting a variety of creepy things. I'm sure your daughter must be thrilled with her new Halloween house warming character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she does like it/him/her, but the making was fun! Now that it is almost too late, I have a bunch of new ideas for witches, goblins, and monsters and may make at least one more thing. ;O

      Delete
  5. Eek seems to have been the re-inspiration you needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mood to "make" comes and goes, but I enjoyed putting this little Eccentric together. :)

      Delete
  6. Eek, such a perfect name! And one perfect little guy. Erin will likely put him on center stage and well he should be. Did you catch that he's both "a bit of a rush job" and "That is the fun part, slow, but fun"? That probably explains the look in his eyes--rather stunned and confused. He's a great start back into your Eccentrics. Here's hoping that you continue for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope Erin and the kids like Eek! I also sent her a little pottery dish by Alicia Burke which is why the package is marked fragile. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your doll!!! Doesn't look rushed at all. I hope you will make more-I love looking at your art. I'm making small dolls and working on some paper projects. Hope to blog about it all soon. I hope you're getting cooler weather....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I usually have several dolls or projects going at once and let them sit and relax while I take my time, but I wanted to get Eek done in a couple of days and into the mail.

      Can't wait to see what you are working on now!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I LOVE Eek!!! What a wonderful little guy to help you enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny! It was nice to have a project to keep me busy. It is the same basic idea for what I did with Bitter and Boo a couple of years ago. :) October seems to be flying by!

      Delete
  9. Eek is wonderful! What a great treat!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!